1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this feller stick around?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cheyfrie26, Sep 26, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    I had a bunch of Canadians here a few months ago. They were all goslings. Well they all disappeared and one came back. He is always running with my Muscovy's. I feed my birds daily and have a barn. Will he stay through the winter?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Wouldn't be that so cool if he did stick around? [​IMG]

3. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Canada goslings usually stick with their parents the first year. It may be that he/she got seperated and is looking for a surrogate family.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Post pics if you can. I would love to see him.

5. cheyfrie26

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Here he/she is!

[​IMG]

6. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    We were given a pair of Canada's who had been pinioned so could not fly - something I would never do!!!. They were stand offish but would come within l0 feet to eat grain we scattered in the barnyard for them. We had a small pond w/island for them so they could nest and escape predators and would try to herd them into the barn during bad weather but they would have none of it. We had an open shed with hay, poultry pellets and heated water tub just for them. During one really heavy snowstorm we were able to drive them into the shed. They took one look at the hay and heated water and all started having baths. Each year they would raise between 5 - 7 goslings and every Fall (except for one year) the babies left on their own. Only one winter did they all stay with the parents but left in the Spring when the parents started to nest again. Other than an island on a pond, there wasn't much we could do to protect them from predators - they really resisted being put in the barn. We had them about 8 years when either coyotes or fox got each of the parents when they were not on the pond at night. Each year we have one or two pairs of Canadas come to stay all summer and raise their young. We would like to think they are our past babies from George and Gracie. They raise their young (this year it was 6) on the same island in the pond and even walk their goslings up to our house for shelled corn so there is a level of trust that makes us feel they were born here. Before they start their nest every year they actually fly or walk up to the house and graze with our chickens, ducks and geese in our backyard. This Canada may stay all winter but don't be surprised if he/she leaves one Fall day or attaches to a migratory flock who happen to come for the day to rest. Then again she may stay all winter and then leave if she hasn't found a mate at your farm. Hope she stays - they are so beautiful to watch.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Legally, if you want to keep Canada geese, not only do you need a permit but you also MUST pinion them.

8. cheyfrie26

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Well this guy chooses to stay. Hes running loose. You can only get in trouble if you have them in a cage.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:He is beautiful!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:He is beautiful!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing.

X2 I enjoy so much watching them fly over head here, they are beautiful birds, your very blessed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by