Will this harm hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dustcover, May 3, 2017.

1. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    This might be an off-the-wall question, but here goes. I have a large jar with a funnel type lid that works great as a fly-catcher. I use the scraps from shrimp or crawdad boils as bait in the bottom of the jar. When the dead flies accumulate in the jar to being 1/2 to 3/4 full, I dump it, clean out the jar and start over. It really does a very efficient job of keeping the coop and run relatively fly free.

Now my question. If I just dump the contents in the run, would the hens eat the remnants, and would it be detrimental to their health and well-being?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not do so. The contents of that jar could be anaerobic, and grow botulism. And even if they don't grow botulism, there are probably a host of other nasty bacteria there. I'd bury those contents DEEP in a compost pile that the chickens couldn't dig up.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I totally agree with LG. Only I wouldn't even contaminate a compost pile with that putrid mess. Some chickens are such dedicated excavators that they could unearth it and become very sick, especially since those pathogens could continue to multiply into a toxic time bomb.

My number one rule is: If you wouldn't eat it, don't feed it to your chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Sick chickens won't lay healthy eggs either. Mary

5. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    I was of course hesitant, but now thanks to all of your informed thoughts on the issue, I am in total agreement. The ugly, and as one put it 'putrid', contents of my fly-catcher jar will be disposed of in a safe manner that will neither affect my hens nor contaminate my yard.

Thank you for your earnest responses.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens are good at eating fly larvae, and do catch bugs on the fly too. It does help. Baited traps attract flies, so it's better to set them away from the coop, rather than in it. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by