Will this hen continue to set?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peeper7, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    One of my red sex-link hens has decided to go broody. I have been looking for her and finally found her setting on many eggs up in the hay. I don't know how long she has been there but there are lots of eggs.
    What are the chances that this hen will actually hatch them? Or take care of them?
    Your thoughts please.... [​IMG] thanks

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If she doesn't seem to have any plans of getting up about 3-5 days after setting, chances are she'll stay. [​IMG] At least that's what I've always heard.

But I don't think RSLs are a broody breed so anything can happen. [​IMG]

EDIT: It really depends on the bird as an individual whether they have great parenting skills or not. Some are good moms, others are not so good.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    If she stays on the nest and dosent get up except for a short time to eat, drink and poop.

Then she will probably hatch you out some chicks. If she is broody and hatches babies I think she will take care of them too.

There is always a chance that the hen will reject them but I have never had this happen.

Good Luck what ever you decide to do. [​IMG]

agreed that Red Sex links are not supposed to go broody but I bet she forgot to read that chapter in the book. [​IMG]

4. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks!

I think this hen has been trying to set for awhile. I've taken up to 17 eggs out from under her (when I found her) figuring she would not stay the course and the eggs were probably not fertile anyway.

So far she is steadfast on her nest for at least 3 days. She will eat and drink if I bring the food to her but I have not seen her get up.

So, my next questions are:
    If they hatch I'm thinking the cats will get them. Should I coop them?
    Also, the weather will be pretty cold, can she keep them warm enough on her own?
    Will the other birds bother her while she is setting?

I've never dealt with a broody hen before..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Just last month, I moved my broody Australorp to a dog crate with a nest and she got over her broodiness really quick. She had been broody for a week or so, maybe longer.

The same day I moved my broody cochin to a cat carrier.. and she stayed broody, and hatched out some babies for us.

so, it's a 50/50 chance that she will continue to set if you move her.

6. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Hmmm....

Sounds like I should move her and K-sara-sara (what will be will be)..

7. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    You can move her. I moved mine at night. Less chance of upsetting her. Where gloves she might peck hard. I always use a pet carrier too.

I would try to keep them confined untill they get a little bit bigger so the cats don't bother them so much. The hen might put the hurt on the cats if they get to close tho. [​IMG]

She will keep them warm enough. I would try to keep them in as dry a place as possible.

The other birds will bother her if they try to get in her nest and the result could be broken eggs.

8. Peeper7

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Sounds like sound advice.... [​IMG] I do love to watch the cats get henpecked [​IMG] ... shame on me.

Have you ever seen cats that eat grain? Mine do even tho they always have cat food. The chickens frequently have to chase them out of the feed.

will try it... thanks

9. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    yes my cats are nuts too. They think if the chickens are eating it then it must be good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by