will this hen keep laying?

chickorama

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
We have an Aracuana hen who has basically stopped laying. She's only about a year and a half old, and she's laying VERY occasional eggs, all duds and extremely tiny.
Will she keep doing that for awhile or eventually stop? At this point, I can't even tell if she has already stopped. Her eggs are SO occasional I can't tell the difference! Do you think she has stopped or will keep laying duds for awhile?

Well, it is hot and maybe she is going into moult?? What are you feeding her?? There could be lots of reasons that her egg production is down. I am not sure but hoping someone else will come along and help out too.

well , I was told the HEAT has alot to do with them laying . they said plenty of light , water , and keep the laying pellets and oyster grit available . I have noticed mine eat less with the heat . I put out all kinds of feed early in the morning , Laying pellets , grower pellets , chicken scratch and oyster grit and PLENTY PLENTY of water.

Mid afternoon , I do throw out cooked rice to them . ITS cold from the frig. so cools them off . I noticed they still have plenty feed left late in the afternoon , I do replenish water containers , and add ICE , that also cools them off .

They eat whenever they chose to during the day . No food is put into the coop at night . JUST water containers ... 1st. sign of daylight , here they come out into the run , and begin eating . They all seem healthy and happy . So far , they are all still laying .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom