will this hurt them...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by *proud*new*momma*, Apr 18, 2009.

1. *proud*new*momma*

*proud*new*momma* Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    oklahoma
    I have two araucanas that are 3 weeks old. I heard from somewhere that you can give them eggshells for a little grit. Stupid me didnt actually research it and I found out that its really bad for them so i frantically go rooting threw their brooder picking out all the little tiny bits of eggshells. I only crushed one and put in there and I dont think they ate much of it. Im really scared that i just hurt my little chicks. I hope it doesnt do any damage......[​IMG]

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I don't know. A better source of grit is chick grit. My store doesn't sell it so I use granite grit combined with parakeet grit and sandy soil (80% sand).

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Course sand, parakeet grit, and such work fine for chicks. Eggshells are ok for juvies and adults. I sometimes boil eggs and crush them for protien and calcium treats. Eggshells do not constitute "grit".......Pop

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    most chick feed already contains grit. if not, then buy bird grit from the pet store. egg shell isnt actually "bad' for the chickens, but it is teaching them that it is ok to eat egg shells so when they are laying they will peck and eat their own eggs.

5. *proud*new*momma*

*proud*new*momma* Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    oklahoma
    thank you sooo much! Oh i was so scared, my poor little babies. I have to go get some more grit monday and probably a little more feed to make it through the next few weeks. I really appreciate the quick responses! thanks...

6. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    From what I have read, shells are NOT grit. They do contain calcium though, which is not a supplement they should have as chicks, it can cause odd bone growth and cripple them. Look at the ingredients on the parakeet grit, it may have added calcium too. Try washed playground sand from Home Depot or Lowes or the neighborhood playground. If your chicks are on chick starter feed, no grit is needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by