Will this keep out the foxes,raccoons,possums,etc.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thelmas garden, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Thelmas garden

Thelmas garden In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2019
    https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...ng/50-welded-wire/1712672/p-1539153030422.htm Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has ever used wire like this to keep foxes from digging under a chicken coop .Or can they tear it with their teeth or possibly squeeze through it. Our coop is made of sunk 4x4s and plywood walls inside of a pole barn. We were going to dig down a few inches and lay this wire on the ground, staple it to the sides and then bury it so the chickens can play in the dirt and dust up :). I've also heard people discuss the sturdiness of woven over welded and wondered how quickly this kind of wire will break down due the moisture from being underground. Thanks for any thoughts.Thelma

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    About the only thing that can tear that wire is a bear or maybe a mountain lion. The 2" x 4" holes will allow smaller critters through but it will stop those on your list. My concern comes in how that wire is attached, connections are often a weak point. Is the material that wire is attached to strong enough and what are you using to attach it. Staples could mean 3/4" poultry staples (pretty weak), 1-1/4" fencing staples (much better), or some type of construction staple (pneumatic or hydraulic).

Instead of burying it under the coop, I use the apron method. Lay a strip maybe 18" wide flat on the ground on the outside of the coop/run and attach it to the bottom of the coop/run so nothing can get through. You don't have to necessarily cover it, just hold it down until grass grows through it to hold it down, but I like to take the turf up, say 2" worth, and put that back on top to protect weed eaters or maybe lawn mowers. The idea is that the predator goes up the the fence or building, starts digging, hits the wire, and does not know to backup. It is a very effective method.

bonz4bon, blackdog043 and Shadrach like this.
  3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    How big is your coop?

4. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    [​IMG]
    Here is what my dog did to some 2x4 wire to get my rabbit.

5. Thelmas garden

Apr 27, 2019
    So glad to know they can't chew through it and now that you mention it, I'll probably use some long U nails to attach it to the walls. They"ll be much stronger than staples. I've seen people use the apron method but never understood how it worked before. I think I counted on the foxes being much smarter than that :).They are known for being cunning.Thanks!

6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I would suggest you take the opportunity (given you are doing the job anyway) to use weldmesh/hardware cloth with half inch rectangles. 12 gauge wire is ideal. This properly fixed to a frame will keep everything out and the chickens in. One of my reservations about the fencing you've linked to is like with chicken wire, it is possible for a chicken to push its head through the gap. The other as mentioned above by @Ridgerunner is while it will keep the creatures you mention out it wont keep weasels out. Just about everywhere has a weasel type creature which you may not be aware of until it starts killing your chickens.
    A bear, or creature of similar size if determined will just demolish the structure; it won't matter what gauge of wire you use. Staples are okay, but with half inch squares you can make a more secure job with one inch washers and screws.

7. Thelmas garden

Apr 27, 2019
    About 10' by 12'.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  8. Thelmas garden

Apr 27, 2019
    Well, we have already put up chicken wire, that will keep them in.....until we learned foxes and raccoons could chew through it!:( So up goes the other 2x4 wire.That will keep out the other critters:).And no bears or cougars here thankfully.

9. Thelmas garden

Apr 27, 2019
    Oh my! Do you think a coyote could do the same.

10. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I think you missed my point. Use half inch square hole weldmesh or hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: