Will this lotion work for her wounds??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ScotianChick, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I just checked on my hen with the wound on her back. It's way worse than I thought, it's dried up and looks to be about the size of a toonie or bigger but it's all bloody and scabby. Anyway I just had a thought... I burned my face pretty bad last week and was given a prescription for Taro-Mupirocin. It's a topical anti-biotic. It says it's for the prevention of infection in minor cuts and wounds. As far as I know there is no pain medication in it. Or at least it certainly didn't seem like it from the amount of pain I was in [​IMG]

Thoughts??

2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Not sure. She may peck at it and if you aren't suppose to ingest it, it might make her sick. I would stay with Blu-Kote or pine tar.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Couldn't hurt to try....What's a Toonie? [​IMG]

4. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    Haha oh... right! Sorry, Canadian slang. Toonie = [​IMG]

Toonie's are standard currency for $2 [​IMG] We used to have bills, they had robins on them but they got rid of those when I was 10 years old.

If Bluekote is something you get at a feed store or vet, I don't have access to one right now. It's a half hour drive to the nearest feed store and they're closed by now. If I can get it at a grocery store or pharmacy, I can pick it up. My mother puts baby polysporin on the pets when they have wounds... would that be better?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Look around the wound and see if it seems red or swollen. Feel around the wound to see if it feels a lot warmer than the rest of her. If it doesn't seem to be like that, I wouldn't worry about it being infected at this time. I would keep her separated for now and get some Blue Kote when you can get to the feed store.

6. ScotianChick

Dec 27, 2010
    I don't think Shur-Gain carries that and that's the only feed store around here...

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I pretty sure that taro mupirocin is used for staph and strep bacterial infections. If your hen doesnt have either of these bacterial infections, it possibly could be ineffective. Try neosporin, it's a more broad spectrum antibiotic ointment than taro mupirocin.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Agree. Mupirocin is more narrow spectrum ... mostly for gram positive bacteria (staph and strep - most of the skin bugs) however it doesn't work for any gram negative bacteria (fecal). This means it kills less bugs.

Triple antibiotic ointment (neomycin, bacitracin, polymixin) hits gram positives and negatives. It's wider spectrum and kills more of a range of bugs.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by