Will this make a good nest box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Will this make a good nest box? I am going to have hubby cut of the front and then make screw 3 to 4 of them together side by side. Whis this work? I have a larger one too, I thought he could just cut that one in half and make two out of one. We can file off the corners so there will be not sharp ends.

[​IMG]

2. BrownChickenBrownCow

BrownChickenBrownCow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    What are the inside dimensions of it? I can't quite tell how big it is from the picture. I don't see why it wouldn't work otherwise.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Should work great But, if you screw them all together, it will be harder to clean. Much easier to take one out here and there to dump nesting material or hose out, than take out an entire row. Just a though.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Looks like good recycling to me. You might want a barrier across the bottom of the opening to keep nesting material in. I wouldn't fasten them together, either, unless I needed to, like if they started kicking them around......

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:12" corner to corner and about 7" deep

I read were the box should be about a 12"x12" if possible but no bigger than a 16"x16"

6. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I use 5 of those for my ducks... and they love em', our friends use them for their chickens, and they say they work great!

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Good to hear that. I can get these for $1.00 each at a local store, so I can get as many as I will need. We may try both sizes to see which one they like better. The other buckets are basically the same width across (12" corner to corner) but are much deaper. I was going to have hubby just cut those completely in half.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    12" corner to corner and about 7" deep

That's pretty smalll unless you have only Bantams​

9. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    My nest boxes are 12"x12"x12" for production reds, and they have what seems like a lot of room in there.

10. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:That's pretty smalll unless you have only Bantams

I really don't know what I have, hoping for smallish birds, but I kinda dout it. Is the 12" good? If so I have other buckets that are the same corner to corner but WAY deeper. I could have hubby cut those in half length (deep) ways and use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by