1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this plan work?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnap1967, May 21, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Hello!
    I am waiting on an order of 6 bantam silkie eggs due to arrive after Memorial Day. It will be my second hatch ever and my first in the homemade incubator I made. I sure hope they hatch, I am so excited!!
    I am hoping to keep some bantam silkies and I was considering ordering about 5 or 6 standard pullets from My Pet Chicken that would probably arrive sometime late June. I want to order 1 Australorp, 1 Golden laced Wyandotte, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Buff Laced Polish, 1 EE, and 1 Barred Rock.
    I have a lot of the supplies already to build a coop that I got from Craigslist and I am planning to build a coop around 4x8 in size and a run which I am not sure of measurements for yet. I only have room in my yard for one coop.
    Will I be able to keep standards and bantams together?? Will these chickens all get along ok? [​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I do not own bantams but I have heard that they should be kept seperate.

3. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I stopped at a roadside farm not far from me because I saw they had chickens out there in their little zoo area. I had never seen some of the chicken breeds I always read about in real life so I wanted to take a look.
    I noticed they had bantams and standards all together and they seemed to get along fine. I know that might not always work but I was hoping if they all "grew up" together it might work out.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If they are raised together and about the same age, they will so fine together.

5. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    When I was younger we raised bantams with standards and had no problem. I have both now and plan on housing them together once they're out of the brooder.

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    my barn owner has both and they are all fine together. Both in coop and free ranging

7. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Ok then.....order placed with My Pet Chicken! Wooot!

I have been procrastinating about it for weeks. This was all the little nudge I needed [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thank you!

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    You needed a nudge?! [​IMG] I better not even think what would happen if someone gave me a nudge. I would probably end up with 1001 chicks in a brooder the size of my garage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by