Will this pullet ever hit puberty??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spacecowgirl, Feb 14, 2012.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    My two youngest chickens are now about seven months old. They both hatched out of the same brood, and I took them both from under the same mother hen.

They were both the same size when I got them.

One turned out to be a rooster, and he is now a full sized, large combed and wattled, beautifully filled out specimen of a bird. He crows us awake every morning and tries to have his way with my other hens. He also has spurs.

His sister of the same age, however, is less than half his size, and appears as if she's about 3 or 4 months old. She has no comb or wattles at all, and doesn't appear to be developing any. She's just now getting a little red around the eyes, but that's it. She's tiny!!!

She is perfectly healthy, happy, and friendly, (as a matter of fact the friendliest of the bunch) , but I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever grow up and start laying eggs!

Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on here? I'm flummoxed as to why she looks like a baby when, at 7 months old, she should look pretty much fully grown like her brother....[​IMG]

2. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    What breed are they?Pictures would help.

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    I'll try to get some pics up soon. I have no idea what breed they are; I think they are just mutts.

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Broody hens will steal eggs from everybody they don;t care who the parents were and some girls are just small.even from the same hatch.

5. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    She looks to be the same size as some of my EE mutts. Slow to mature is the only thing I can think of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by