Will this roo create a black sex link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Below is a picture of my rooster, but I'm not sure what he is. I am currently incubating some eggs he fathered with a barred rock hen. Will these two create a black sex link?

[​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

MAYBE but it all depends on the roos background. all u can do is hatch the eggs and see what u get.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pretty roo.

I'd guess YES.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Me too.

5. cluckingnuts

cluckingnuts Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Looks as though he also has dominant white so you may also get white cocks with barring and white hens from the mating.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Using a barred bird like barred rocks the sire doesnt need to be red since the hens carry the sexlinked barring. Sons should be barred and daughters more solid color.

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I agree- he carries dominant white. Some or all of the chicks will be white- it depends on how many dominant white genes he carries.

He looks like a red sex-linked X rhode island red offspring. The cross could be rhode island red x red sex-linked cross, either way will produce the male.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:I agree- he carries dominant white. Some or all of the chicks will be white- it depends on how many dominant white genes he carries.

He looks like a red sex-linked X rhode island red offspring. The cross could be rhode island red x red sex-linked cross, either way will produce the male.

Tim

so the barring will still determine the sex of the offspring, right?

I remember someone having a "reverse" black sex-link hen here, white with gold or red on the neck/breast, is that what OPs hens might look like? Cause she was pretty!

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:No, the sex of the offspring will determine barring. I don't see any barring in this rooster, so when crossed with a barred rock hen the female offspring will not be barred and the male offspring will have one copy of the barred gene. The question comes in as to whether you will be able to see the barring on the male offspring, either the spot at hatch or later when the adult plumage comes in.

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

Tim

so the barring will still determine the sex of the offspring, right?

I remember someone having a "reverse" black sex-link hen here, white with gold or red on the neck/breast, is that what OPs hens might look like? Cause she was pretty!

On the chicks that are white you can not tell. The black chicks will show the head spot (male) or the lack thereof (female). This male will produce some white chicks when crossed with a barred rock.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by