1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will this rooster carry the green egg gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by abluechipstock, Feb 16, 2009.

1. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i have 2 ee/speckled sussex crosses, both are roosters, they both have green legs, will they carry the green egg gene, if so i'll keep them if not they can go, the father was ee and mom was speckled sussex, they are very pretty, lots of red in them, thanks

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If they have a pea comb, they should carry the gene. If they have a single comb, they only have a 3% chance of carrying the gene. Hope you got a pea comb! Leg color does not affect egg color.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Yep, a pea comb is the biggest indicator. The genes for pea comb and blue/green egg gene are carried closely on the same chromosome.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh, man you just answered some of my questions. I saw a pen of pullet EEs and they were pretty much all the same color. Most of them had green legs and there was one that had blue legs. I asked the woman if she knew if that effected the color of eggs, she was going to look into it. Now, I can tell her it doesn't. Thanks.

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    you learn something new everyday, i never really looked at their combs, but i will tomorrow:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by