Will This Shed Work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dinahmoe, Jan 3, 2010.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    I PLAN ON PUTTING A NEW ROOF AND FENCING COMPLETELY AROUND THIS SO IT WILL HAVE A HUGE YARD .MY QUESTION IS-WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED TO DO?THIS WILL BE THE COOP.IT IS CONCRETE BLOCK WITH A CEMENT FLOOR.I WANTED TO USE THE DEEP LITTER METHOD.I PLAN ON PUTTING VENTS AT THE TOP JUST UNDER THE NEW ROOF.I WILL ADD HEAT IN THE WINTER AND I AM GOING TO MODIFY THE WINDOWS SO THEY CAN COMPLETELY BE REMOVED LEAVVING ONLY WIRE IN THE SUMMER.IT HAS A WINDOW ON 3 SIDES AND THE DOOR IS ON THE 4 SIDE.THE MEASUREMENTS ARE 10X10.DO I NEED TO INSULATE INSIDE?THANKS FOR ANY TIPS.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Shoot with just some minor touch-ups that would be a great coop, I have concrete floors in all my chicken areas and you will love the ease of clean up and sanitation. I like the set-up.

AL

3. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:DO YOU USE DEEP LITTER OR DO YOU CLEAN IT ALL OUT OFTEN?THANKS

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:DO YOU USE DEEP LITTER OR DO YOU CLEAN IT ALL OUT OFTEN?THANKS

I use straw hay and clean it as needed, works just fine for me, I am not a DL fan at all. and I have over 100 chickens in several pens.

AL

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Looks like it will work great! [​IMG]

7. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I wish I had a building like that to make into a coop. I use deep litter method. I get pine shavings from a country feed store that has a machine that grinds up pine logs. Get a huge bag for about $7.00 and takes about 10 bags to do my 12' x 24' henhouse. I have about 40 chickens so I rake it around daily. I will take all those delightful pine/poop chips and put them on the garden and til it in in the springtime.

My henhouse floor is wood, which I painted with a moisture proof paint. You will need to put hardware cloth over the windows. It's a type of tight wire mesh. Add some roosts, make them all on the same height if you can. Lock your chicks up tight at night, just after sundown, and you should be fine.

No cedar chips, not good for chickens.

DonnaBelle

8. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Is this Georgia? I would not use insulation. I would try and add more openings for ventilation and light. Heat and humidity will be your problems, insulation will only make those worse.

9. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:YES GEORGIA-HUMIDTY IS AWEFUL.I PLAN USING HARDWARE CLOTH OVER THE WINDOWS IN THE SUMMER AND CLOSE THE WINDOWS IN THE WINTER.I WAS GOING TO HAVE A SPACE JUST UNDER THE ROOF OVERHANG OPEN COVERED WITH HARDWARE CLOTH ALL THE WAY AROUND FOR VENTILATION.IWILL ADD A HEAT SORCE IN THE WINTER AND MAYBE A FAN IN THE SUMMER.THERE WILL BE CROSS VENTILATION WITH THE 2 OPPOSITE WINDOWS.

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Looks just about perfect!

I agree, look into ventilation, not insulation. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by