Will this slide projector work for a candler of very dark eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wynette, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, folks! I scored a very old slide projector; someone at my office building was getting rid of it. It even came with a few extra bulbs. I've read that folks use them, but not sure if this is the right type. Also, if this will work can folks post pictures of what modifications they made to their projectors to help with the candling? (Sorry for the poor picture quality; it was just delivered to my desk @ work, so I used my cell phone camera. It's a Bausch & Lomb brand.)

[​IMG]

This is the side - I've NO idea what all the buttons mean, will just have to experiment, Iguess:

[​IMG]

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive seen people use them before but what they did was, they made a cone on the end of the projector. One end was the size of the lens and the other was just big enuff to cradle an egg. in a dark area, it should work pretty good. Let us know how it works

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Any idea what material the cone was made of? I'm SO bad at visualization, which is why I was really hoping for some pics of other folks' adjustments made. Thanks!

4. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

If i remember right it was like the cardboard from a papertowel holder. You could use anything as long as it was thick and lite wouldn't show through

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    That should work just fine. Box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot sell a grey or black tubular foam insulation made to slip over and insulate plumbing. A short piece of this stuff taped to the lens is what I use on mine. It blocks stray light and cushions the egg. It looks like you will probably need to tape something over the slide tray tunnel too to block the light from there.
    db

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Only chicken people would think to salvage an old slide projector!! That was a great find! [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah, I just sent out an e-mail to some folks at work asking if anyone had one, I never thought someone WOULD have one! I feel like I really scored!

I'll look for the black tubular foam insulation; thanks, dbcooper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by