Will this stupid chick EVER come to like me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I adopted a chick from someone recently. She showed up in their backyard 3 weeks prior and they had asked all their neighbors with no one knowing who it belonged to. They fed her chick food and everything but decided they didn't know anything about chickens so they didn't want to keep her. Now I have her due to their "Free Chicken" posting on Craigslist. I understand that she's probably been in a bit of stress lately with being jumbled around from wherever she came from to the Craigslist people to me...but I hold her everyday even though she fights me, I give her treats (good healthy ones only) and she has LOTS of fresh clean food and water. I think she's about 6-10 weeks maybe older. She's a barred rock and has a comb but it's light orange not red (nutrition?), she is larger than my 21 wk bantams but about half size than my 21 wk standards. She doesn't seem to be able to fly. And she thinks I'm a big cat or something [​IMG] with yummy worms for toes. I'll keep loving on her to see if she comes around, but what do you think? Too much stress still, or will she always be a meanie?

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    P.S. It doesn't matter if she's mean or not, I'll still keep her, I'll just be sure to wear tennis shoes [​IMG]

3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Sounds like shes just stressed.

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Start sitting near her, shelling non-salted peanuts, and tossing them near her. Quit each day while she still wants more. In a few weeks, she'll probably be climbing in your lap for them.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, sitting quietly and offering treats by tossing a safe distance, so she knows they're coming from you, but doesn't have to come too close for comfort, will build confidence. Thing is, when she matures enough to start to lay, she'll probably be much more approachable.

All that being said, some chickens never warm up too much. My slate colored Amarecauna won't come near me, but I think she likes me... on the other hand, the whiter one, comes near if she thinks it's to her advantage, but I don't think she likes me at all. [​IMG] They're just funny clucks sometimes!

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    With time and love she'll eventually warm up. Maybe not totally - she may have been through the wringer. She's not stupid, but rather she's on guard, which is smart for such a little munchkin. If you think of her that way, she'll feel it. [​IMG]

I have a hen that dashes just out of my reach - she had never been touched before I got her a year ago. When she is not well or when she was attacked by an irresponsible neighbor's dog, she drew great comfort from being in my arms when she needed it most. That's when I learned that she did trust me. She is fine now and is back to dashing just out of my reach. This is good because the instinct to not let anything get that close will serve her well. When she needs me, I'll be there, and she'll let me.

JJ

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Hah, funny clucks, I love it. That makes sense...my older kids didn't start really warming up to me until they got bigger and gained confidence that they wouldn't be stepped on I suppose. Silly chickens. I'll try that trick though-sitting next to her while dropping goodies, hope it works! Thanks!

8. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:Sorry, I didn't mean stupid as in she's unintelligent, more like "this gosh darn, frustrating, driving ME stupid chicken" [​IMG]
    Hopefully she'll turn out to be like yours and even if she does dash out of reach she'll know I'm safety when she needs it.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:I bet she will [​IMG] When I sit on the ground with Ellie and BJ, armed with irresistible treats, it isn't long before Ellie is perched on my leg to get closer! It took awhile to get to this point but I love that she now knows she will be safe using me as a jungle gym!

10. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I got my chickens from a person that likely did not handle them. I have had them now for about 3 months and after building their trust I can now handle them. But for 3 months I did not touch them unless they were in the coup at night. They were very stressed birds as these were our first ever chickens and we had to make a lot of housing changes (learning the hard way, before I found BYC) So with all the stress they would become more standoffish. Now they are happy and a lot more handleable. Just feed them lots of treats and they will eventually get closer and closer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by