Will this treat Gapeworm in chickens?

Jmommy2008

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
I have this goat wormer that says it’s fenbendazole which I’ve read can treat gaoeworm in chickens but wanted to ask here to be sure and if anyone knows the dosage? I have a few chickens that act like they have it and want to treat the whole flock just to be safe if I can. I can’t figure out where to buy the flubenvent so I was hoping I could use this. And what might the dosage be if given orally instead of in the water?
871679D1-F946-4A7E-A316-65EC4B66AC13.jpeg

Last edited:

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Yes, fenbendazole, the active ingredient will treat gapeworms as well as round, cecal, and capillary worms in chickens at a dosage of 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally to each chicken given for 5 straight days. Be aware that gapeworms are rare, and respiratory diseases are more common. Those may look similar, and can include respiratory bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, and ILT. Flubenvet is a brand of flubendazole, and is not sold in the US. It is popular in the UK.

Jmommy2008

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
Yes, fenbendazole, the active ingredient will treat gapeworms as well as round, cecal, and capillary worms in chickens at a dosage of 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally to each chicken given for 5 straight days. Be aware that gapeworms are rare, and respiratory diseases are more common. Those may look similar, and can include respiratory bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, and ILT. Flubenvet is a brand of flubendazole, and is not sold in the US. It is popular in the UK.

Jmommy2008

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
I’m still new to this site and I haven’t figured out replies yet lol. Thank you! We were thinking gapeworm because they keep opening their mouth like adjusting their crop but some act like they’re gagging sometimes. If it was respiratory wouldn’t it be all the flock? The few in question have had this issue going on two weeks now and we’ve cleaned, used vet rx. Kept separate. They aren’t lethargic, eating and drinking fine. One sounds almost like shes crowing but she’s been laying eggs since February. A couple sneeze a little including the crower. It’s such a weird noise. It doesn’t sound like coughing though. And she’s very active and feisty still so I’m confused.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
You can go ahead and treat for gapeworm, since it will treat other worms, but it sounds more like respiratory or possible a crop problem. Do you provide granite poultry grit to help digest foods other than chicken crumbles? How does the crop feel first thing in the morning before eating or drinking?

Jmommy2008

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
You can go ahead and treat for gapeworm, since it will treat other worms, but it sounds more like respiratory or possible a crop problem. Do you provide granite poultry grit to help digest foods other than chicken crumbles? How does the crop feel first thing in the morning before eating or drinking?
Yes I always offer grit, they free range most of the day as well. Her crop seems fine when we check her. But I will check before feeding her in the morning and report back. I however leave water in the coop always because of the heat so I won’t know if it’s before she’s had water.

Top Bottom