Will this type of feeder work?

HyperCello

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
I found this picture online. I'm only planning on having 3-4 chickens. Will one of these feeders be enough for them? Would you get 45 or 90 degree pipes for the end? Do you think the food will flow enough into each side for them?

1581948566216.png

I have a similar one but with only one opening, it works. If the feed doesn't flow readily to either side you could probably put something triangle shaped or cone shaped into the center of the fitting to encourage the food to go to either side. I don't use mine because I have so many chicks all the time and it's not recommended for young chicks because they can get stuck in it. Works great for adult hens though.

I started off with a version of that, one 36" long horizontal pipe with two four foot pipes vertical to store the feed. You will waste feed like mad and attract mice and rats, then the predators that feed on rodents after that. And many of these predators also kill chickens.

I started off with a version of that, one 36" long horizontal pipe with two four foot pipes vertical to store the feed. You will waste feed like mad and attract mice and rats, then the predators that feed on rodents after that. And many of these predators also kill chickens.
I thought this was one that would not attract mice, since the chickens can't get in and kick the food out? I'll have it covered at night.

Nope, doesn't matter if they are hung off the ground or not, the rodents can jump, the chickens will rake the feed out. I had 2" diameter holes drilled in mine and a hinged lid made of the same PVC that I could close at night. Rats chewed through it in a few days. And it was a pain in the politician to fill with feed. Started using a metal hanging feeder till I realized why it was swinging when I opened the coop door during the day.

Start searching the forums for treadle feeder advice, do the same online, you are going to pay for a good feeder even if you don't own one by wasting feed or wild birds and rodents stealing the feed.

Sure beats a sharp stick in the eye but rats will chew through the plastic if you leave it out at night. There are a number of problems with that style feeder, again, research online before you buy or build. And do not buy one of those contraptions, make you own, the ready made feeders like that cost almost as much as a real feeder.

Back
Top Bottom