Will This Work As Walls?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by team_realtree, Jan 11, 2010.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I loathe rust so I'd look for something without iron, or if you want iron/steel's strength make sure it's galvanized (aka zinc-fied)

Just my two cents, I wonder if that Rustoleum spray actually works... if so then problem solved. [​IMG]

Donno about heat though... that'd still be a concern for us... gets into triple digits easily in summer.

3. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Heat is also a concern however I will have a run with shade.

These sheets are 30 years old and have been on 2 barns over the years and still just barely any rust.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    I used metal as walls as well.........We had a tornado rip off part of our barn and we salvaged the metal for the new coop..........The chickens are ok with it.......Seems to be working fine so far........Good Luck

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sure why not. That's standard barn material around here. Used to be house roof material too!

If you're REALLY lucky you might find a steal on it if you have a scrap metal yard that keeps stuff lying around. I got 4 sheets for free that way!!! Slight rust and a few nail holes don't bother me if the price is right [​IMG]

My coop: [​IMG]

6. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:how do you find it does in the cold? Id hate to make it a cooler.....I was thinking of putting styrofoam insulation boards on the walls during the winter.......

7. you sure can use it for the walls. We have a few pens made with metal walls and no problems at all , works out pretty good .

Fay

8. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    It has been 9 degrees here the last few days..........The coop has a couple of heat lamps and is wind resistant.....I have read more about wind versus warmth.....((??))) I don't want to start a war about this, but it is what we built for our first coop.........THe chickens are still alive and laying eggs..!!! I also used the clear sheets of plexi so I could see thru the coop into our horse pasture from the barn.........We bed really thick shavings to help with warmth if the chickens want to burrow into the shavings. You can insulate the walls if you feel your part of the country warrants. I am in Southern INdiana and have such a range........This is our first winter with birds and if they all survive this cold winter, I probably will not insulate my coop.........Good Luck

9. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Wow fast answers! One last concern....I used this as the roof on my last coop and it took two pieces running parallel to cover the whole roof therefore there was a seam in between them.

It leaked like a sieve in between the seam obviously so I ran a bead of cocking and that still didn't work so I used half a can of high expansion foam in the seam and it still found ways to get through......

what do you guys do to overcome this?

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Tin is typically 26" wide. It's supposed to be 24"/2ft each sheet, with a 2" overlap. Did you overlap the sheets???

The only place mine leaks is where one of the sheets is bent on the part that overlaps - might be getting some of that black tarry stuff for it, dunno. It doesn't seem to bother the birds coz it's the opposite side of their roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by