Will this work? Draft issue...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    So the new coop (birds due in a week) has 2 openings 30 x 55 inches facing west. They are currently wire covered. We have a steady breeze here all the time and downright strong winds every now and then. I think I need the ventilation of this area no matter what. I like it to be bright and open looking, I like to look out the kitchen door and see my birds...etc etc. So long story short I am thinking of using plexiglass cut just a little bigger than these openings and mount them about 4 inches AWAY from the wall using long bolts....so it will act as a wind break but still be ventilated. Will this work or do you think wind will just whip around the sides into the coop? My only alternative is to make shutters but I think especially in summer it will be too hot and stagnant in there. It will be 105 degrees with wind every evening for months. I would appreciate any input.
    [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Sounds like it would work for winter, might want to be able to remove them entirely in summer.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You have another issue to consider: rain blowing in those open windows and wetting your bedding. Have you considered awning style flaps like these:

[​IMG]

You could rig something like this for the top of your openings, and maybe for winter block off the bottom 3/4 entirely so there would be no draft coming from down at roost level.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:You might add a hardware cloth covered full length vent at the very highest point of the tallest wall. That will help get rid of excess heat and keep coop smelling cleaner too. Will also help when you have shutters closed. Nowhere in Calif is cold enough to worry about cold weather for chickens. See 'My BYC Page'.

Gerry [​IMG]

5. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Elmo...the top quarter of the south facing wall has this flap set up, 1/3 of the east wall is wire but my concern in the strong wind that cones from the west directly into the two large screened areas you see in that photo. So I was thinking if I mounted the plexiglass on the outside of the coop about 4 inches away from the wall there would still be constant ventilation but no direct wind blowing into the coop. Im afraid if I shutter them closed in the wind they birds would cook when it is 100 degrees outside. Wind speed is typically 20 mph summer evenings for about 2 hours and a nice breeze the rest of the time. Im thinking the birds dont like wind in the coop if we are supposed to avoid "drafts"

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    You dont have to worry about drafts in the summer, only in the winter when it is really cold. I would leave the windows as they are in the summer, and partially cover them in the winter. I can see cracks in the side wall through the windows, they will also provide ventilation.

7. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    As long as air could flow into and out of the coop you would meet your chickens' needs. The rain issue would need an eave of some sort to keep the majority of the water out of the coop, but this can be solved by having an eave that props open as desired. Look for a thread about open air coops that are popular in the N.E. states. They are open like yours and get much worse cold weather. Old Chicken Lady is right, warm drafts are not the worry, cold and wet ones are. Good Luck!

8. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    OH NO! I just discovered another MAJOR problem. We are not typically in the fog-just above it. I went into the coop just now and everything is WET! I mean WET!!!! All from fog. On any other day since we built it it has been bone dry and condensation from dew was only outside. Geeze! NOW WHAT?!? Maybe I HAVE to make shutters. Dang it!

9. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well...I would hope some other California chicken people would chime in on this problem...or anyone who lives with lots of fog. Good luck with your new birds and figuring out the fog condensation problem.

10. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Hubby suggested shade cloth "screens" might work for fog dampness and slow down the wind. I think it is worth a try! I have a roll of it in the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by