1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this work for a button quail cage?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pidgey104, Sep 24, 2010.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I drew out these plans and I was wondering if this will be good enough for my button quail? I have all kinds of colors: Tuxedo, splashes, and whites. they will be kept either in a shed or the porch.

[​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It looks like a great plan. Just make sure you house the birds in pairs and not trios and you are good to go [​IMG]

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    okay I know I'm going to have one of the pen for extras male just in case something happen to one of the others. I know I had 3 splash hatch hoping not all three are males.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There is usually an extra bin for males [​IMG] As a breeder I have too many males too....haha

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    [​IMG] just forgot I don't have to use up one of these cages for the extras males . I can put them in the bottom of my finch and diamond dove cage. Its 3 foot wide by 6 foot long. that should work

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Hey also since you raise buttons. I had a pair sitting on eggs but they don't make good parents do they?? Their babes hatched this week and they didnt even seem to care for them. I found them cold in their cage so I put them in the brooder. all the parents cared about was sitting on the eggs taht didnt hatch.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Buttons can hatch their own chicks...some make better parents than others though. In the wild, the parents raise them until sexual maturity and then kick them out of the territory since they are monogamous and not covey birds. They will kill any button intruder, or serious injure one that comes in contact with a pair.

But I usually just take the chicks after they hatch...the parents get so distracted with my other breeders in the room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by