Will this work for a chick pen??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrownEggFan, Jul 22, 2010.

1. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    I have a hen that went broody two days after I put 6 eggs in the incubator. I added a few more under her that evening, so now she is sitting on 8 eggs that are due to hatch on the 3rd of August. I built a separate coop for her so there wasn't competition for the nesting box space (I have 2 boxes for 6 hens) and so that the eggs that were supposed to be under her stayed there and the eggs that weren't supposed to be under her weren't. The enclosed coop is 3' x 2' x 2' high and the open run is 2' x 2' x 2' with a wire mesh floor.

[​IMG]

Now, I candled the eggs in the bator today; 2 are clear and 1 is questionable, so I only expect 3 chicks from this batch. I haven't bothered my broody to candle those eggs, so I don't know what might be happening there. Best case, I'll have 11 standard chicks to raise. After 2-3 weeks, can I put mama back in the regular coop and leave these chicks in the broody pen? How long will I be able to leave them in there before they outgrow the area? Thanks for your input!!

2. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I would leave the chicks with mama as long as possible. I dont think you will be able to keep them in that size run for very long. It should work for now, but I would think of expanding it. Its a great little coop though. Nice job.

3. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Havi, thanks for the response. I'll work on adding to it, or maybe I'll just build a larger coop altogether. That way I can expand the size of my current flock and keep some of the chicks! [​IMG]

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd leave the chicks with the mama too. She'll want to stay with the chicks too.

I have 2 hens that each hatched a chick, in the coop with everyone else. I've been watching everyone.
    So far so good. Both hens are so good taking care and teaching the chicks everything. Its alot less work for me too.

You'll be amazed watching the hen raise those chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by