Will this work for a staggered hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiechick05, May 16, 2010.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you are looking at is my automatic turner with most of the turners taken out... If that makes sense. I have the eggs that are about to hatch in a cardboard enclosure in the middle to keep them from getting in the turner and being killed.

Now, my question is, can all the circulated air reach my still developing eggs,

And, will there be too much air getting to my about to hatch eggs...???

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well I am not sure about your question, however, I only do a staggered hatch that includes ducks as the late hatches. Seems to work ok for me. I have never tried a staggered hatch with chickens.

3. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I guess what I mean is, are the cardboard walls going to disrupt the flow of air and deprive my developing chicks of heat and oxygen...

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I wish i could answer that!!! I have a stupid proof bator - the brinsea, so I don't really know!!

5. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Man, I hope mine is stupid proof.

If not, I don't know if any of them will make it.

LOL

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The chicks will be able to jump over the cardboard as soon as they hatch. Or rather, they will flop and stagger over it. I have tried something similar and the chicks always manage to get into the turner or under it as soon as they possibly can. lol I'm sorry I don't know about the airflow.

Edited later to add: A friend of mine had a good idea for this situation. Use small plastic mesh baskets like drawer organizers from Wal Mart. You can put the eggs inside one, then turn another over and attach it for a top. This will keep the chicks in. Also, the air would flow through.

Last edited: May 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by