Will this work for housing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yoie, Apr 2, 2012.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I am looking into getting a few quail, for eggs and entertainment. I have an old rabbit hutch that isn't really getting used anymore and was wondering if I could house coturnix quail in it and how many would be fine in it. And what modifications should I make to it?

This is the hutch I have, Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You could probably keep 4 or 6 females in there if you are only looking for eggs. Looks like a great place for a few quail!

3. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the reply! I have a FB friend sending me 12 eggs+ eggs in a few weeks, can't wait. Hopefully I hatch out a few females for eggs [​IMG]

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    twocrows is correct, 4-6, the good thing about a setup like that is that you can stack them lol, once you start hatching you will be tearing around your house looking for things to build new pens lmao its definitely addictive

5. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    Quote:from mochicken [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

hahaha too true. Yeah I think this would def. be big enough for some females, but if you put a male in there the hens might get pecked a lot - what are the dimensions of the cage out of curiosity? You might also want to think about putting a layer of matress foam or memory foam on the ceiling in case they wack their heads. I've had a lot of birds break their necks and brain themselves that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by