will this work for turning the eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Jan 25, 2010.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    Hey everyone.

I have alot of eggs comming the next few days and i really dont want to turn all the eggs by hand, i just dont have the time in the morning.
    so do you think if i put them in an egg carton and but somthing under one end to tilt them say a 45 degree angle? and then switch it around ? do you think it will work??
    also if you have any other ways you turn your eggs or homemade egg turner pics or ideas let me know .

thanks, pefferlawchicken:D

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Many people do that.

3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    My only concern would be air circulation. The eggs need to breath to expel CO2 and get in fresh air. But if people have done it before I guess its ok. Just my personal concern. I am using the Little giant bator and turner from Tractor supply. $42 each. Good Luck and God Bless!

4. Billjr

Billjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Central Jersey
    Many people do that.
    >

So, the eggs only need be tilted or rocked left and right?

5. rebelcowboysnb

Quote:Yep. Some people with foam incubators that have fans just stick a brick under one side of the whole incubator.

Nether tilt method works well in a still air incubator.

6. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    okay mine has a fan in it so should i be good to go ? are there anu other ways people do other then motor turner?

7. rebelcowboysnb

Some cut a peace of 2x2 hardware cloth an put under the eggs. When ya pull on it the eggs all roll.

8. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I am trying this right now with shipped-across-the-country eggs form upintheholler. They did have messed up air cells. So I got our my old still air styro incubator and put them pointy side down in egg cartons, cut apart so the eggs are sitting in pairs. Spaced them out evenly. Didn't turn them at all the first 2 days. I don't open it, add H2O with a straw and a syringe. Tilting the whole incy by putting a block under one of the 4 sides. I put on gloves to touch the eggs and try to not ever shake or jar them at all. Amazingly, I am thrilled to report that ALL 11 eggs sent are developing vigorously!!!!! On day 5.
    I am thrilled with this new method and hope it continues to go well! If it works out, I will ALWAYS use this technique on eggs that have had a long airplane journey! Wish I had tried it sooner on those 100.00 eggs I had 2 months ago..........

9. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    sounds good , any other methods anyone?

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I also got one of those to, it fits in the hovabator. I felt I had to open the incubator to many times to turn eggs so I asked Santa for one and he brought me one NICCCCCE huh. I only open once if that if I need to add water and candled for first time last night day 7 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by