Will this work to trap a fox?

swampcat

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Brooklyn, CT
Hey all. I've done a lot of reading on the forum about different methods to catch a fox. I have a havahart trap because I have many cats and there are neighborhood cats, and some not so brilliant dogs that I don't want to kill.

I was thinking, would getting a petstore mouse and putting it in a plastic tupperware (with holes in the top, for air, obviously) be a good lure? I know the sent might not drift, or whatever (do mice even have a smell?) so I also have a dead mouse courtesy of my cats that I can put outside the tupperware but still in the trap. I was thinking being able to see the mouse and not see fencing around it might be a good way to lure the fox in? I plan on covering the trap with some brush to make it not to trap-like.

If this doesn't work, my next plan of attach is anchovies in oil. Thoughts?

I believe if you have never really trapped before, good luck on getting a fox into a havahart. you can give it a go, but I would use a chicken for bait, of course inside a cage so it can't get eaten.

Quote:
"Removing foxes through trapping or shooting is only recommended during designated seasons or in situations where individual foxes show a pattern of preying on livestock."

6 chickens by one fox is enough of a pattern for me!

Quote:
I mentioned that to the husband but he was afraid of having to pay for the chicken's therapy sessions later
roll.png

Just do what you have to do. Dang feds aren't looking for people protecting their livestock. Heck, I'll do time If That's what it takes. What are you in for dang old hawk was trying to kill my best laying hen.

Back
Top Bottom