Will this work to trap a fox?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by swampcat, Aug 2, 2011.

1. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Hey all. I've done a lot of reading on the forum about different methods to catch a fox. I have a havahart trap because I have many cats and there are neighborhood cats, and some not so brilliant dogs that I don't want to kill.

I was thinking, would getting a petstore mouse and putting it in a plastic tupperware (with holes in the top, for air, obviously) be a good lure? I know the sent might not drift, or whatever (do mice even have a smell?) so I also have a dead mouse courtesy of my cats that I can put outside the tupperware but still in the trap. I was thinking being able to see the mouse and not see fencing around it might be a good way to lure the fox in? I plan on covering the trap with some brush to make it not to trap-like.

If this doesn't work, my next plan of attach is anchovies in oil. Thoughts?

2. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

AspiringUrbaniteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    My thoughts are that you might need a permit to do this, or you may consider hiring someone who is certified to preform these types of things. Just sayin'.

3. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    No, I believe in CT as long as you are protecting your livestock, you can do what you need to do.

4. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I believe if you have never really trapped before, good luck on getting a fox into a havahart. you can give it a go, but I would use a chicken for bait, of course inside a cage so it can't get eaten.

5. shoopman

shoopman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Liberty kentucky
    let us know if ti works

6. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:"Removing foxes through trapping or shooting is only recommended during designated seasons or in situations where individual foxes show a pattern of preying on livestock."

6 chickens by one fox is enough of a pattern for me!

Quote:I mentioned that to the husband but he was afraid of having to pay for the chicken's therapy sessions later [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Just do what you have to do. Dang feds aren't looking for people protecting their livestock. Heck, I'll do time If That's what it takes. What are you in for dang old hawk was trying to kill my best laying hen.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  9. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by