Will this work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by georgialee, Apr 17, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I saw a metal shed at Lowes for $299 (8x10). It has a large opening at the front with (I think) two doors. We would put this inside of a chain-link kennel (probably 10x20 or 20x20). Can we just build some nest boxes on stands and put them in there and leave one or both of the doors open for ventilation? Do I really need an actual 'coop' that has the little ramp, etc? It doesn't get too cold here in the winter (avg. of 40+ deg. Dec.-Feb.) - I'm in Knoxville, so I don't think they would get too cold (plus I'll be doing the deep litter method which would give off a bit of heat).

eta: my DH is worried that the shed would be way too hot in the summer. It's a light colored thin metal... will it get too hot for them?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Sure, you can make it work. But it will get really hot in there in the summer time so have a plan to deal with the heat and humidity of summer. You may want to think about a window and good ventilation. Without light those silly girls don't know what time to get up in the morning. Good luck!

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    buy the lightest color unit you can and look for a shady spot if possible. paint the roof white if it is not already.
    keep an eye on the inside walls for condensation. even if you had to it wouldn't be hard to carve some vent openings in it.

4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    So long as there's good ventilation it won't be a problem.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd probably put in some windows, and upper ventilation holes on the sides. perhaps an inside or outside roof with insulation.

6. 60ACRES

60ACRES Stepped in what??

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Yes, it will work, but.... be warned! It will blow away if not secured to the ground. I'm not talking about attached to the floor frame kit, I am talking building to the ground.

*from experience, I bought one of these for a well house. it was finished, complete. I had the doors open one day and boom! a small gust of wind removed it from the floor frame kit and blew it about 25 yards away until coming to rest against a tree....

heres the pic:
    [​IMG]

BTW, this is going to be my new coop too!

It was all I could do not to take my brand new Kuboata and grind it to a single piece of cheap sheet metal, but i hooked a chain to it, and relocated it back in some trees. After moving it, I have framed the inside with landscape timbers and cinder blocks. It will not be going anywhere now!

edit: It comes with 100,000,000 screws to install, and is a pain in the,... neck to put up. For the same money, I bought real wood and siding for my well house. I am only using this as a temp coop.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  7. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    LOL 60ACRES... Sad reminder about wind... Yes, make sure you get a shed anchor kit or put it on a decent foundation.

[​IMG]

8. 60ACRES

60ACRES Stepped in what??

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Quote:Yeah, saw that when I was looking for a number to call an complain![​IMG]

9. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    It's a wonder that those things don't COME with anchors like that.. I call it entrapment.. [​IMG]

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for all the replies! The shed is very light colored already so that ones easy. I will have to make sure we figure out a way to attach it to the ground b/c I would not want it blowing away!!! We have plans for a 4x6 coop but I wouldn't be able to do deep litter (plus it's too small for all the chicks I bought at tsc... but don't tell DH that, lol!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by