Will this work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I have to switch gears from a custom made coop to converting a resin shed to a coop. My original nest box/roost design won't work on the shed due to the two large doors and due to the fact that I had planned on external nest boxes. I do not want to start hacking up the resin shed. So I thought of another plan. Since the back wall is seven feet long, I plan to put two rows of nest boxes along the back wall running from end to end. In order to make the best use of space in the shed-coop, I was thinking I could put the roosts above the nest boxes and make a poop board that sits on top of the nest boxes. There will be perches in front of the nest boxes to make it easier for them to get into the nests and I would put a small ladder from the floor up to the edge of the poop board for the chickens that can't fly up that high. Then I would have two roosts at staggered heights above the nest boxes and running from wall to wall. I would actually prefer to put the roosts in front of the nest boxes, but I keep reading that the roosts should be higher than the nest boxes. In my current coop, only about half of the chickens roost on the roosts. 3 of them insist on sleeping in the goat house and roost on the feeder in there, others go into the nest boxes, which I don't prefer, but it really isn't a big deal and a couple like to snuggle down in a corner and one loves the top of the nest boxes. Not sure what to do now that I have to change my design. Any suggestions?

2. CamanoChicks

CamanoChicks New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    WW sounds like you have a pretty good plan!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Quote:Do you have any pics? [​IMG] I don't let my birds sleep in the nest boxes because they poop in them and then the poop gets on the eggs. I do have the roosts higher but some of my birds lately want to sleep in the nest boxes so I have been closing them off at night and opening them up in the mornings.

4. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    No pics yet. I am working on getting the water lines in. That should happen next week one day, then I can go from there. I spent all winter planning my dream coop then hubby takes a new job and now has no time to work on a coop. He decided resin sheds are the way to go, so now I have to figure out how to configure everything all over again. I am too tired at night to bother with chasing chickens out of the nest boxes. I just let them do what they want. I clean the poo out each morning with a kitty litter scooper. There isn't all that much. Or maybe I am just used to it! LOL!!! I am leaning towards one high roost above the nest boxes and two others out in front of them. I will post pics when I get it done, but I am thinking this will make the best use of my space and still leave room for a brooder under the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by