Will too many roosters affect egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigbama, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bigbama

bigbama New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Greetings to all;

This spring I purchased 100 chicks in a straight run. I thought I had processed all the unwanted males however I now have 55 females and 9 males. I only want 4 roosters in my flock. As it goes my boys have gotten attached and given them all names so the pot is no longer an option. My question is do I have too many roosters in the flock because they are always harrassing the girls. Would this be a stresser? Also they are 23 weeks old and I have only gotten 2 tiny eggs 2 weeks ago and since then nothing. I was thinking that I could seperate roosters the that I don't want. Is this a good Idea or should I keep them all on the yard?
    Thanks for any and all input.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That would be 1 rooster for 6 hens - not likely too many to cause them stress enough to quit laying. New layers can be sporadic as their bodies adjust to laying.

And for boys that age, it's totally normal for them to be harassing the girls. The boys mature faster and some of your girls probably aren't ready yet for mating.

3. bigbama

bigbama New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks for your input. I guess waiting is not a strong suit of mine>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by