will too much candling harm them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MakNat, Dec 31, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
  2. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Sorry Did NOT mean to do that... Trying to post that pic for my little post pic..... Can't figure it out.. Sorry

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    YES, it is not the candling that affects the eggs. It is the handling of the eggs, each time you open the bator you are losing the balance of temperature and humidity. Each time you touch the egg you are transferring chemicals from your hands to the eggs.
    I candle the eggs as I place them in the bator and then on day 18. The first candling is to make sure there are no defects (cracks) in the eggs. The next candling is the remove any infertile eggs. Yes, I know we all want to see what is happening to our little friends, but sometimes we do more damage trying to help.
    If you have an incubator like we had growing up, there would be NO problem. We could walk in the bator and candle the eggs inside using cotton gloves to pick them up. Can you imagine the time it took to candle 15000 or more eggs. We only spot checked them.

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I used to candle alot because I was so interested and curious. Now I wait until day 5-7 (7 preferably) I put ? on all the maybes. Then I will candle the ?'s at about day 10. If I don't see any veining out it goes. I don't want any bad eggs in there to spoil the rest. Then I candle right before lockdown.
    Always wash your hands and try to have warm hands too. I don't let any types of sprays, cologne, hairspray or any cleaning chemicals get anywhere near the bators. I keep the door closed and a constant temperature.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I agree with everything posted but I also know that eggs candled everyday...handled everyday...can and do hatch. The candling progression through incubation thread in this topic. They were candled everyday with photos taken everyday till lockdown. I am now sitting next to the 7 healthy chicks that hatched from that thread [​IMG] Probably not a great idea to candle all the time, but I don't think it should be considered bad either. Just my newbie opinion.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Zoomimmzy I agree with your newbie opinion. I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think the biggest difference in affecting the eggs is due to how long you take fussing with them and how you candle. Exposing them to excessive hot light or turning the egg over and over to try and see the chick inside are very dangerous for developing embryos and the vein network. If you are quick about it and gentle and don't twist/turn the egg excessively, things should work out just fine. Unless you're doing an educational study, it is unnecessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by