1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Turkeys wander off?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by enochabell, Jul 12, 2011.

1. enochabell

enochabell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I have 3 turkeys:celebrate [​IMG] that are about 4 months old. They are getting pretty big and I think they need a bigger space [​IMG] I really would like to set them free in the yard. Will they wonder off [​IMG] and if they do will they come back [​IMG]? Please any advice will HELP!![​IMG]

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    They may wander off immediately, or they may stick around. In the fall and especially the spring they are likely to disappear, especially the toms. My turkeys occassionally end up at neighbors when they get out of the pen. If you make a big pen, and one turkey gets out, it will usually stay near the pen becasue it wants to be with its friends. I recommend fencing an area for them to protect them from predators and to prevent them from mixing with local wild birds.

3. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    We have had young tukeys wonder off before. One group of about 12 were gone for almost three days! I don't know where they went but they sure were thirsty when they got home. Another time we found them about a quarter mile down the highway. Let me tell you, turkeys don't herd well. They will however, follow bread crumbs. [​IMG]

4. enochabell

enochabell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks I will try this weekend and see what happens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by