Will two african greys in one cage talk?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by MvWyk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MvWyk

MvWyk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Ivory Coast, West Africa
    I rescued two timneh african greys. They are still scared of me but with hard work I think I might win their trust. They where cages together for almost two years so I will cage them together as well as their bond is very strong.
    Will they talk when they are together in one cage or is it just a myth that two birds living together will never talk?

2. debgal

debgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Griffin, Ga
    I have this exact parrot. If you treat them kindly and with respect they will mimic you and the sounds they hear. Just remember, most parrots, and ESP. This breed has a very good memory. If you are mean or aggressive with them, they will return the treatment. They are very territorial of thier cage so be wary. Mine is a rescue, took almost three months to earn his trust. Time and Mac n cheese did the trick ;) Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

3. MvWyk

MvWyk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Ivory Coast, West Africa

Okay so it's been 2 weeks and they are starting to warm up to me. One is very shy and scared while the other one has got no problem with me coming close. They never been touch by humans so its going to be hard work. They were only fed peanuts by the previous owner but now they enjoy a variety of fresh fruit, seeds, nuts. I'm battling with them eating veggies. Any ideas?

4. Avianman

Avianman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Patience and time. They will probably make some noises at the least, but really, it is up to the bird.

When I was training birds we would give ourselves months to tame a bird that was skittish, and thats with working every day around the birds.

A calm atmosphere, patience, and time. They'll live many many years with good diet, so dont be in a hurry for anything - they wren't going anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by