Will two coops work?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PAbigwoods, Apr 22, 2017.

1. PAbigwoods

PAbigwoods Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    I've been kicking the idea around about connecting two chicken coops by placing an expansion pen in between the two pens giving me about 80 sq feet of coop and run for 15 chickens which is like 5.3 sq ft per chicken....my question is will the hens end up all in one of the coops or do you think that they will separate and make use of both coops or would it just be better to keep the two coops completely separate and divide my flock

they will also get about an hour or so of free range each evening

Thanks for your time

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Sounds kinda small for 15 birds. 80 square feet is only about 9'X9'. My breeding pens are 5'X5' but they're just for two birds. I sometimes put three cockerels in them temporarily but usually no more than two.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree, if it is set up as she typed it? Does she mean that the coop area would be 80 square feet, and then the run added on to that? If so, the coop area would be fine, I think that some would roost in each coop, but the birds might trade places every so often.

Space is crucial.

Mrs K

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Clarification definitely needed. What is the total coop floor space planned, and what is the total space between the coops, which I assume OP will be using for a run? General recommendation for back yard flocks is 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in the run per bird. Allowing them out for "some" free range time really should not affect this recommendation IMO.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    If your set up can be modified to be used strictly as a coop, PLUS the birds are given adequate outside space via run or free range, then 15 birds are fine. However that does not seem to be the case. If you need to compensate for the lack of enclosure space then you should give them a lot more time outside of the enclosure - 1 hour of free range time is not enough. Or be realistic and downsize your flock to a manageable size for the enclosure, before behavioral and health problems start popping up.

6. PAbigwoods

PAbigwoods Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    ok i was under the impression that 4 sq ft for bird was over all space not just the coop i was unaware of the 10 sq ft per bird in the runs, def gonna have to go with a smaller flock

thanks for the help

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Going with a smaller flock is a GOOD decision. Too many people just wish they would all get along, and they won't. You will have a much happier, calmer flock if you don't over crowd. They will lay more eggs. You will enjoy them more, no one likes to see picked on birds, hiding out afraid.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by