Will unlimited access to dry food be ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stokealini, Mar 10, 2013.

1. stokealini

stokealini Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Central NY
    We are redesigning the coop and thinking about some sort of auto-refilling device for inside the coop. We already feed fermented feed am and afternoon, If there is dry food available inside, will they overeat? Also - will they need water inside too - or is outside (daytime) access enough?

Thanks. Carolyn

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    They will only eat when needed unless it is treats and they act like they never eat([​IMG]). Mine have availability all the time that way they can come and go as they feel that way everybody gets to have their share. Often some of mine will eat a little after laying. As far as water goes the choice is up to you, mine being a little crazy like to drink outside when temps permit all the while there is a water station in the coop next to the feeder. When it is cold they have to drink inside or eat snow. Personally it wouldn't hurt to give them some water inside as mine tend to be up early and roaming around the coop often before sun-up so I like letting them have access to water and food if I am to comfy drinking coffee. More so during the warmer months when it is bright at 5AM while I am up just not in a hurry at that time.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    access to dry food anytime is just fine. they won't over eat. water can be inside or out. just remember, if you have water outside, they can't drink it unless u let them out to get it! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by