Will washing/bathing my chickens monthly keep mites/lice away?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ich-knut, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ich-knut

ich-knut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I have 3, 4 mo. old bantam hens and 3, 3 mo. old bantam hens that are more house pets than anything else. When I let them out in the yard and they have their fun with dirt, I wash them afterwards with baby shampoo. I blow dry them with a hair dryer as well. This can't hurt them right? Also, will washing them keep mites/lice away? [​IMG]:idunno

2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    I don't wash my babies, but I do treat them quarterly with ivomectrin drops on their backs. So far, no mites or lice and I've had them for a little over a year. [​IMG]

3. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    so, what are these "ivomectrin drops " you speek of??

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Washing them so often is actually hurting them as their skin and feathers will be losing the essential oils that keep them looking and feeling good. Once again they are Chickens and are really not suitable for lap animals indoors. just treat your yard and house for lice & mites and then you shouldn't have to bathe them at all ever.

AL

5. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Ivomec or ivermectrin - they have a small bottle of pour on cattle wormer? that you can get at your feed store. Its 5 drops between the shoulder blades for normal sized chickens. Do a search on here for it and you'll find lots of info for it. Many, many people use this to worm their chickens and prevent lice/mites. Mine free range and so I am sure that they've been exposed to wild birds, etc and so far no problems. I have fat, healthy shiny happy chickens!

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Put the ashes from the wood stove or fire place out for them to dust bathe in. That keeps them pest free in a more natural way.

Rufus

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens dust bathe daily. No mites. That's why they dustbathe, to rid themselves of any external pests.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Plus while a bath will make a *dent* in the numbers of mites or lice, it is not going to eliminate 'em if the chicken is infested.

A good dustbath, plus regular inspections and treatment as needed, is really your best bet.

JMHO,

Pat

9. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    thanks for all the info....mine dust bathe daily as well and so far so good. We've had had a LOT of 'free range sparrows' taking up residence in my feeder!!! and really thought i was going to have problems... DE on floor, and ashes in 'baths' have seemed to ward off any unwanted intruders. AS well as me netting the whole coop and run to keep out the little beggers.. [​IMG]

10. ich-knut

ich-knut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for the tips! I try not to wash them that often and look up on that ivermectrin stuff. I live in Los Angeles, so no such thing as feed store for farm animals. We have wild birds and wild squirrels that comes and go so I don't want to have mites problem on top of having a sick chicken. One of my silkie is sitting all the time and not eating much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by