Will we get any chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hchorselover, Oct 30, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    In late July I got one rooster and one hen in hopes to get some baby chicks next spring (because we don't have a rooster for our 6 chickens and the extra hen was so he wouldn't get lonely). But I am having some doubts about that now. Our chickens are not mean to each other and they have NEVER been mean to me but when we tried putting the chicks in (they were grown and ready to leave the brooder by then) they attacked them and pecked them so we had to take them back to their brooder. So after a while of trying to force them together we tried to put them on the roost at night when they were all half asleep which worked great and now they get along fairly good and all the chickens live together but they are still scared to get near the older chickens so I can't imagine him actually trying to mate with them even thought he is as big as them and could very well fight back. Do you think he will ever be brave enough to try and mate with them?
    Also when do rooster start to get their spurs because he hasn't gotten his yet and he's almost 4 months old now.

thanks

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    don't worry its just a matter of time before hormones overcome good sense and he tries his luck with the ladies. when the spurs come varies from breed to breed

3. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I'm sure that as time goes on he will assert himself as the top chicken of the coop and mate with the hens. As for spurs, mine has his spur bumps (since about 3 months old) and still no spurs. He is 5 months old. I looked it up myself, and I read that they get them within their first year. But no definite marked time slot. So, enjoy no spurs while you can. He will get them in due time.

4. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    thanks! [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 8 RIR that are almost 8 months old and 3 barred rocks that are 5 months old. 2 of the BR's are roos. I have had them together free ranging for about 2 months and just recently put them in the same coop. The BR's always seem scared to death of the Reds and the reds would run them off all the time. In the last week Lindy our larger of the two started to mate with the reds. Tonight they are all on the roosts together by themselves.

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Also when they get big enough they will take the spots they deserve in the pecking order. It doesn't mean they will be top but I am willing to bet the roo takes.his spot when he is ready. Right now mine are about 5 months and no spurs bit they inside for sure they.are top dog. They are also the latest crowers I have had up to date. Only been crowing for maybe two weeks. My BR still don't have his down yet.

7. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Not sure with the breed you have, but with Asian games, at four months they're still babies. Well, maybe not babies, but not yet young men. When the time comes, you'll notice it happens quite quickly made his first crow, and then never tried it again for a few days. Since then, he hasn't shut up, and it also only took him a few days from that moment to realize what he could do with a hen. I feel sorry for him now though, because almost all my hens are broody at the moment, and those that aren't all hang out with the head roo, so the young guy can't even get close to them.

Believe me, your young rooster will reach a point where he'll mate with your hens, and when he does, don't be alarmed if he's a little rough at first, because he will get better at it with all the practice he'll be getting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by