Will we need to provide supplemental heat for hen and chicks?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
This really does feel like a ridiculous question but oh well. We don't usually let our broody hens hatch eggs because we always end up with too many boys. One of our hens found a great hiding spot this spring though and ended up hatching three chicks. After that, our adorable bantam hen (honestly not sure if she's a Brahma or Cochin, they look very similar to me and her breed hasn't mattered much to us) decided she wanted to hatch eggs too. The poor girl has spent most of the summer sitting on eggs. Her first "nest" was in a terrible spot and washed away in a huge rain storm, broken eggs and dead chicks everywhere. The next nest...not sure what went wrong but eggs broke but she wouldn't give up on the nest and ended up sitting on maggots. The third time was apparently the charm for her because she successfully incubated way too many eggs, six of her own and three big eggs from one of our other hens. So far four chicks from her little eggs and one of the big egg chicks have hatched. The first three little ones hatched yesterday and the other two hatched overnight. She seems to want to keep sitting on the last four eggs and the other two small eggs do look like they could be ready to hatch soon. But the other two big eggs were obviously new additions to her nest. The embryos are quite small but definitely alive, I could see them moving when I checked them. I was planning on letting her keep them until she decides to give up on her nest and then I can let them finish "cooking" in the incubator inside.
The concern I have is she's so small that it seems like she might be having a hard time keeping all the babies and remaining eggs covered and it's getting into the cool weather season. We decided to move her nest up to our front porch over the weekend because she kept grabbing more eggs from the other hens and eggs were falling out from under her and getting cold. This morning one of her little chicks was out from under her and was quite cold. Not sure why it was out or how long it had been out, but the poor thing was cold. Would it be really ridiculous to give her a heat lamp at night? I think our forecast actually showed slightly warmer overnight temperatures the next several nights, like in the 50's instead of the 40's, but 50's still seem pretty cold for tiny chicks...and a tiny mamma hen who feels a little scrawnier than normal since she spent months trying to incubate eggs. Or do you think they might be warm enough if I just covered their pen with a good blanket? They're in a nest box inside a 4'x4' wire play yard type pen up on our porch right now.
(I didn't have any worries about the chicks hatched by the big hen this spring because the hen was plenty big enough to cover three chicks and they hatched on like June 3rd or something so it was plenty warm outside.)
Thanks!

I am not sure about this answer, I haven't been in this situation before. Is your porch an enclosed porch? If they are outside where predators can get to them, I would either bring them into the house or divide a place in the coop for the whole lot. If it was cold and my hen was struggling, I may decide to provide a heat lamp to see how she reacts. BUT others may know better than I do.

1. make sure she is sleeping in a secure place.
2. blanket over the crate is fine.
3. remove any seriously behind eggs and put them in your incubator now. No point risking the chicks and soon-to-hatch eggs for half developed ones when you have an incubator to hand.

The first three little ones hatched yesterday and the other two hatched overnight. She seems to want to keep sitting on the last four eggs... This morning one of her little chicks was out from under her and was quite cold.

I would put the remaining eggs in the incubator, so she can concentrate on the chicks that have hatched. She needs to be able to take them to food and water, and get food and water for herself too.

I think if you take away the rest of the eggs, she will probably do fine at keeping the chicks warm without needing a heat lamp.

I predict the chickens would not use a heat lamp even if it was there, but there should be no harm in offering it, IF they also have plenty of space to get away from the heat. They should have some space that is not heated at all, so it's just as cool as the normal outdoor temperature.

And of course, if you use a heat lamp, do be careful that it can't start a fire.

Our porch isn't enclosed but we've never had any critters up there. The spring chicks lived up there with their mom for several weeks until the mom decided it was time to return to the rest of the flock. The chicks wouldn't stay with her at night then, they returned to the porch and roosted on a pirate skeleton for a few weeks.
Is it normal for hens to be more concerned about the unhatched eggs than they are about the chicks? She doesn't seem to care at all when I take the chicks out but seems pretty anxious when I take an egg out. We're hoping she teaches her chicks to be as friendly as she is. She's the nicest chicken we've ever had. She comes up to the door and knocks with her beak asking to come in for treats. Just walks on in, straight to the kitchen. Not that I want all these babies doing that! I just want them to be friendly like her. She even comes when we call her.
I'll get the incubator plugged in so I can move unhatched eggs in the morning.

she sounds lovely. She will eventually give up on the eggs after a few days of having live chicks running about.

I'm intrigued about the pirate skeleton!!

I'm intrigued about the pirate skeleton!!

I joked that the chicks must have seen the skeleton parrot and decided that was a good place to roost. "That bird seems to be happy there!"
KIMG2548.JPG

I'm not sure what's going on with this hen and her chicks. We took the unhatched eggs away yesterday and put them in the incubator. I'm not sure how long we should leave the "full" eggs though. I'm not sure if they're alive and don't want them to explode.
I'm also a bit concerned about the chicks. Mamma hen doesn't seem into the chicks. When we took them out without her, all five hopped around and pecked at food and water like normal chicks. But yesterday morning one was dead under the Mamma hen. After we took her eggs, the chicks got out of the nest and we're bopping around pecking at stuff like normal chicks. Mamma got out and every time I saw her yesterday she was out, laying on top of the babies. Not pecking around at food or water. This morning she had another dead chick. I know chicks die for no apparent reason sometimes, except in 11+ years I've never had a hand raised baby anything die so this is weird to me. I don't know if there's something wrong with the babies or if it's the mom. Any ideas?

Could be lack of nutrition of may be too cold. But then again, the mamma hen should be able to provide sufficient heat? Keep monitoring the babies :)) <33

I'm really at a loss with them right now. She started with five chicks and is down to three now. Two run around the pen pecking at food and doing normal chick stuff. Fluffy, the mom hen, just lays puffed up on the third chick. That chick isn't too stable on his feet and runs back under her if I pull him out. The other two seem to have plenty of energy. I'm debating taking them away from her and putting them in a brooder by themselves. Maybe I should just give the unhatched eggs back to her since she liked sitting on eggs? I have a bad feeling that the chicks that died were the only girls. Mainly because that's how my luck works! 😂

Back
Top Bottom