Will Weed B Gone hurt my poultry? Worried!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thndrdancr, Apr 16, 2011.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Our guys that owns the land around us came by today to let us know that he has hired a guy to do spraying with D-2. I looked it up and its basically Weed B Gone. He says just cant manage the weeds without it.

Its VERY close to our property and in fact he told us the guy will be "divebombing" especially the grain elevators that border our property. They are essentially 10 feet from my three peacock, duck, and chicken coops and 30 feet from the pole barn. No way to avoid it, and he didnt know "when" it would be exactly. He just wanted to warn us. Not sure if leting them out is better or keeping them cooped, since the coop is essentially 10 feet from THE target area.

Any ideas and will it hurt my birds? I have over $1000 worth of birds!!!! Peacocks, Welsh Harlequin ducks, etc....

I am worried as a guy I bought some veggies from last year told me he lost every one of his guineas to neighbors spraying too close. [​IMG]

2. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    If it will kill weeds, it will probably kill birds. I don't think I'd let them out and I'd probably find a way to keep the spray from blowing in.

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I can keep my chicks penned up and right now the pens are covered with tarp for winter so it might limit the exposure. I am sure we will get it all over us as well. I HATE crop dusting!!! Things was he didnt even know WHEN the guy was going to dust.

My peas are totally freerange and so are the guineas. [​IMG] I am totally organic here at our place but I cant say I am when everyone arounds me sprays!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by