Will weeder geese eat buttercup bur?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by fowlerclaire, May 9, 2011.

1. fowlerclaire

fowlerclaire New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I have just discovered we have a TON of buttercup bur growing on our new property and I have missed my opportunity this spring to take care of it (it's already going to seed). I am getting some weeder geese in just a few days and now I"m worried about how the buttercup may affect them! It is poisonous to livestock....SO my questions are

I know geese can be persnickety about what they eat - does anyone know if they WILL eat it?
    If they do, is it poisonous to them like it is to livestock?

Any and all advice or info about this noxious weed and it's affects on animals would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Sorry but I have never heard of this weed, rule of thumb says that if toxic to one species probably toxic to others.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I have Buttercup too:barnie and missed my timing too, don't have alot in the goose area, but they ignore noxious weeds it seems. Now my ducks are another matter, they ate mothballs and lived (which I no longer use!) I had around my plants to keep deer off.[​IMG]

4. fowlerclaire

fowlerclaire New Egg

May 9, 2011
    Thank you for your replies! I'm pretty new to this forum and just now saw your replies [​IMG]

I have had my geese for quite a while now and they seem to stay clear of everything as long as there's grass around! So I think they'll be alright until I can get it taken care of one way or the other next spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by