Will White Pekin ducks go broody very often ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mahsmaj, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Will White Pekin ducks hatch their eggs very much? ? ?

2. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i heard all the broodiness has been bred out but i'm sure there are exceptions.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Mine never have.

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    TELL ME YOUR SECRETS! Mine set about 4 times a year if i let them get away with it. I have 2 setting for the second time right now. Happy ducks set.

1 person likes this.
  5. Elfy

Elfy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    Mine has set once last year late summer. Then so far once this year. I have two very interesting looking duck mixes.

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:When I figure those secrets out I will use them to break up my mallard that has been broody since late April. I had no Idea that pekins ever went broody though.

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Duckman, a member here, has a couple of broody Pekins. They have been sitting since spring. I think two have hatched good size clutches.

8. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    not sure if my pekin is going broody or not ....but when we went out this morning to open up the greenhouse door for them..she was sitting on her nest(no eggs) but the male is being very very protective of her....like we interrupted something...lol...chased us out...lol...he is hilarious....she also has been changing her nests....i think its because i havent been picking up her eggs because i thought that u had to leave them in the nest so she would hatch more and eventually sit on them and become broody..lol..guess not...they must of went bad n she didnt like that nest no more so she build another one...so now when she lays another one ill go pick it up and maybe try to bake with it since people keep telling me they r wonderful for that....see what happens...

my boyfriend keeps saying he doesnt want more ducks...let her grow up first...that she is too young(16weeks)...i dont know what age they start all this..lol...but i think it would be cute to see little babies following mama duck around..lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by