will wild turkeys attack chicks???

shaynapalmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Maine
This past month i noticed a a rather large family of turkeys roaming my backyard, a mom, dad and 7 teenager looking turks. they've been coming a bit closer to the coop everytime and today they were heading towards the coop and my chickens were making some strange noises(either happy to see them or angry as heck!) my question is..will wild turkeys try to harm my chickens? is it something i should worry about? i keep chasing them off but they keep coming back for more of my "run at them" tourture..lol

That is a good question. I would think that the turks would just freerange with the chicks.

Must really like you if they keep coming back after you chase them off.
gig.gif

Most likely they see your birds eating, and want a bit of that action. I'd be more worried about pests and diseases they bring than actual violence. There have been a couple folks on here who have had them move into their coop with the chickens, and they cohabitated nicely. Free, or volunteer, turkeys! They have likely had experience with humans feeding them in the past(or present) and see you as a potential free lunch. The feeling could well be mutual.

Back
Top Bottom