Will winter aconites harm chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aussie2000, Mar 15, 2015.

1. aussie2000

aussie2000 New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    We have winter aconites in our backyard, and I know they have antifreeze in them, but was wondering if it would affect chickens. We would really like to let them out of the run, since they haven't wanted to come out of the coop all winter.

Thanks so much![​IMG]

2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I spent a couple minutes googling an answer to this. I couldn't find anything about chickens be harmed by winter aconites but I did read that they are dangerous to kids and pets so i would assume that they are not safe for chickens.

Read this on the website...
    There is also a darker side to these late winter/early spring-blooming beauties. Winter aconites are one of the most poisonous plants in the garden. If you have small children or pets that are likely to dig in the garden, you may not want to plant winter aconite in your yard. The entire plant, especially the tuber, is quite poisonous and may cause nausea, vomiting, colic attacks and visual disturbances.

Here is the link so you can read yourself: http://www.plantingflowerbulbs.com/winter-aconite.htm
    Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. aussie2000

aussie2000 New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    Hi, That is what I was going to assume as well, but I have heard of plants that are harmful to mammals but not chickens. Oh well, looks like they will be in for a while now.

The problem is the aconite "tubers" stick around 'till late summer

Thanks for the reply

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    No problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by