1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Wyandote Tolerate Florida Heat?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 9ByDesign, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 9ByDesign

9ByDesign Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    I live in Central Florida and am not familiar with Wyandotes. They look HEAVY and am not sure if they would surivive our heat/ humidity. Anyone in Florida have these?
    TIA

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We have GLW's and BLRW's and a freind of ours has GLW's, SLW's and BLRW's and we don't seem to have problems with them. We are in Ocala. I think as long as they have lots of shade and plenty of water for the heat of the day they should be fine.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm in North Fl, have SLW & BLRW. They have no more problems than any of my other breeds here.

4. 9ByDesign

9ByDesign Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Thank you so much for your replies [​IMG]! I see that they are cold tolerant- so I wasn't sure that meant that they are NOT HEAT tolerant [​IMG]. They look so big and bulky (if you will) in pictures- pretty! Are yours good egg layers and have gentle disposition?

5. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Quote:I LOVE the BLRW's sooo pretty [​IMG]

we have GLW and would like to get a few... My family lives in Ocala in the sub called Top of the world.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by