will x-lax help my bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marvun22, Mar 2, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    ive sure some of you have heard my story. a racoon got into my coop it killed a duck and brutally attacked a chicken it is badly wounded at its behind. im not sure if it can poop. i was telling some people about my situation and somebody told me that xlax would help it. do you guys agree with it. im pretty sure x-lax is a human product. would it work on a chicken. also if it cant work on a chicken is there any other product that could help it poop.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Don't use X-Lax. You'd be safer using a tried and true method for poultry such as molasses at about a 4 oz per gallon for no more than 4 hours. I don't know if this is necessary though. An attack like that, which I've experienced, motivated me to put the bird on Penicillin caps or injections for 5 days, supplement Vitamins in the water, and keep the bird eating. Mix up an individual feed for that bird by using yogurt mixed in water and dampening the feed with it. Not soupy just dampened. I don't know what the severity of the wound is, but keep an eye on it to ensure it heals properly without infection. Trap and shoot that coon when you get a chance.

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    one thing is it wont eat and drink much.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That could be why your bird isn't producing waste.
    It is important to keep that bird hydrated and stimulate its appetite. You should slowly hand feed small amounts with a syringe. A little hard boiled egg yolk mashed up with some yogurt and a little water to form a liquid is a good syringe mix. There's also a product called Poultry Nutri-Drench which quickly gets nutrients into the bird. Call your local feed stores to see if they have it.
    What does the wound look like? Any internal damage?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I think there's internal damage

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Unfortunately that doesn't tell me much. Could you possibly take some pictures? If the internal damage is to the point where the hen cannot heal properly in order to perform normal bodily functions, you can get to a vet or cull the bird. It is a very personal decision at that point. I try to save my birds as best I can, but have had to cull in the past when I believed there was no chance for good quality of life.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
  8. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Michael Apple i dont have any yogurt around my house is there any substitutes.

9. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Cottage cheese? Get to the store and get some cultured nonfat/lowfat plain yogurt. The Poultry Nutri Drench is important too for quick absorption of vitamins to stimulate appetite. Call the feed stores in your area when they open to see who carries it in addition to a good vitamin-electrolyte pack for the water. I commented on the other thread too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by