Will YOU be shopping on Thanksgiving Day?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
More & more retail & grocery stores are staying open on Thanksgiving Day. It seems a shame to me. Why can't they give their employees a break on this important national holiday? It's a sure bet the top executives of these corporations are enjoying the day at home with their families, yet they have their lowest-paid employees out working for them.

Some stores even have special sales that are good only on Thanksgiving Day, to lure more customers into their stores. I know that for some folks shopping together with their family is an enjoyable holiday tradition, and perhaps there are some who only see certain family members on Thanksgiving Day. But why should some families be torn apart in order to allow other families more togetherness? Couldn't they find other things to do together that didn't affect other families?

Is this happening everywhere or just in/near the big cities? One of our big grocery chains, Publix, will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. I always make it a point to phone their corporate office to thank them for doing this. Even though we don't have anyone in the family who works there I still appreciate this store's policy and think it sends a good message to the community.

If there's anything I might need to purchase on Thanksgiving Day I will try to do without, or borrow from a neighbor. I don't want to vote with my dollars for a business staying open on this holiday.
sad.png
My husband has to work at WalMart from 10-7 on Thanksgiving Day.
barnie.gif
There goes his celebration. We are having dinner with our church and cannot expect them to change their schedule just for us.

Nope

Every where around here will be closed. You cant even buy a gallon of milk on thanksgiving. You may be able to find a few things at the one gas station and one mom and pop store. But I wouldnt bet money on it.

Might be shopping the day after though.. That is is the paycheck is big enough.

I avoid the stores at all costs between Thanksgiving and New Years. If I have to go to Walmart (only place around here to get stuff other than groceries) I wait and go at night or first thing at 7am before the crowds hit. I will only go if there is something I need really on sale.

Quote:
smile.png
smile.png
We'll send happy thoughts your way too
smile.png
smile.png
Did you work Thanksgiving last year? If so, was it very busy? And what were people buying? Necessities or gifts? This is Mister's first year with WalMart & I think this stinks. In times past I've worked in restaurants that stayed open on Thanksgiving Day and everyone had to work, but were given shorter 4-hour shifts. That way no one was too terribly inconvenienced and everyone had time for a meal with their families. But a 10-7 shift? It's either Thanksgiving breakfast or extremely late dinner. And Mister, more than anyone else in the family, loves his Thanksgiving turkey dinner...
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I never shop holidays. I think stores should close and give employees time with their families. If most people would not shop, they would close.

I rarely shop Sundays too, for the same reason.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
smile.png

Quote:
I agree....if everyone would stay home then the workers would get a day off. I don't even like to buy anything on Sundays either. I wish it would go back to where the stores were closed on Sundays again.

I've had animal related jobs in the past where I had to work on certain holidays. Since my family usually just celebrates holidays by ourselves, we would usually just celebrate a day before or after the actual holiday. I know that's not feasible for a lot of people, but it worked for us. Nowhere says you have to celebrate on the day of the holiday! Mostly our holidays consist of just being together as a family.

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder, I agree. For a while I was trying to make that my policy, but lately in my effort to save $$$ by eliminating extra trips to town I've been running errands after church. But if you think that Sunday should be a day of rest, you shouldn't expect others to work for you on that day.

Back
Top Bottom