Will you help me please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by juliejohnson805, Sep 9, 2016.

1. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    Trying to figure out if these are EE or Amercauna. Also would like to sex them.[​IMG]

This is Blanche (?) supposedly a Leghorn. Concerned because I see the curve in the tail feathers and most of the pics I have seen show pullets with straight tail feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Chicken Fries. Bottom of feet are not white so I'm assuming EE.

[​IMG]

This is Sophia. Please tell me she's a she! Bottom of feet are white.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome!

How old are your birds? If under 3 months, they're cockerels, sorry.

the last two aren't Ameraucana. They could be EE or they could be mixed breeds.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicken Fries is a mixed breed cockerel. Sophia looks like a Blue Orpington or Blue Australorp, likely a male. Blanche looks like a Leghorn, but can't tell from that photo what gender. Need to know the age.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

5. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    They are around 12 weeks old. If I have ended up with all roos I'm going to be so upset! When should they start doing rooster things - fighting, crowing, etc.? What can I look for to help avoid this situation next time? How many roos can I keep?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    One roo can handle 10 hens, less and the girls tend to get overbred. So figure 10 hens for each cockerel you intend to keep. Usually better just to eliminate some cockerels.

7. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    At 12 weeks they all look like cockerels. Sorry :(

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 12 weeks, those all look like cockerels.

They usually mature around 4 months or so, but that can vary quite a bit. Males raised together don't always fight as they mature. Mine work their heirarchy out as they mature, there's not usually a big "Oh we're all grown up and I'm going to challenge you to the death" thing. It's been all along while they're growing up, so no drama.

Now, the "Challenge to the death" can happen with an older rooster, I've had that happen. Don't know if you have a mature cock bird or not.

How many you want to keep, if any, is a personal management decision. Some folks look upon cockerels as pets and keep a bachelor pad only for them. Housing them apart from females cuts down on the drama, and prevents the females from being overmated by over-enthaustic young males. Some folks see them as free loaders and sell or give them away. Some folks see them as food and butcher them, either for human food or dog food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by