Will young cockerells crow around adult roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rocky Road, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have 24 chicks that are around 10 weeks old now and 2 adult roosters that are over a year. I would like to seperate the younger roosters as soon as possible so the hens have more room in the coop when they start to lay. Now there are some young roosters that I can immediately pick out because of some dominant features in them but for the rest I have to wait until they crow. But since they are in with the two adults I'm not sure if they will when the time comes. Only one of the adult roosters crows (he is the boss), the other used to but I think he's been "told" not to anymore by the other.

Does anyone have suggestions in this situation? Will they crow?

2. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    I think that they will if they can get away (as in out of eye sight) from the older ones. It's possible that if a younger one crows around the older one than the old man will attack him. Whenever my young guys start to crow they crow in a different area than the area the old birds are in.

3. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for this tip. That's really useful [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Both of the cockerels (a d'uccle and a silkie) I ended up with will crow with my rooster around. But he's a very tolerant, easy going rooster, so I don't know whether that matters or not. [​IMG]

5. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Well I know when I introduced the older ones to the younger ones about 3 weeks ago the younger ones were the ones bullying the two older roosters. So maybe they still feel dominant enough to crow in front of them?? I hope so!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will still crow. Now if they mate a hen, they'll get a beat down by the top rooster.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine crow and then they RUN! LOL And it's a fast quick crow lol And yes I agree with happy chooks they WILL get a beat down if they try mating the hens.

8. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Yep they crow around the big boys. I just heard my first crows out of the young guys over the weekend. The big boys just crowed right along side of them. I was excited for the one because as soon as the pullet gets old enough they are getting locked up together and the others... closer to processing.

9. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Quote:I hope they don't mate, they are brother and sisters! haha. At what age should I keep a close eye to separate them then? When do they mature enough to mate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by