Will young rooster outgrow aggressive behavior?

rjking777

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
I have a rooster who is about 4 1/2 - 5 months old. Last week he started doing a funny sideways dance, dragging his wing and puffing up. I honestly thought he was, for lack of a better term, flirting with me. I've read a lot on the subject and believe he is beginning to be agressive. He has also ran up behind me a couple times but has not gone at me. It seems whenever I am outside and they are free from the coop he always has to be doing this in front of me. Last night he did the same thing to my Yorkshire Terrior but he pecked him, AND, tried to do it again today! I've pretty much made the decision to cull him, but a friend of mine told me today that they MAY outgrow it, that he is like a 15 year old boy, but it could just be a phase he is going through. I've only had him since August and it is the first rooster I've had since I was a kid growing up on the farm so I don't know if he will outgrow it or not. I love my roo, but will not put up with an aggressive rooster. Anybody's thoughts?

It's unlikely that he will grow out of the behavior. In fact it's more likely that he will get more aggressive with time. You can try to calm him down by picking him up every time you see him. I have heard some people say that they will carry the roo around with them as often as they can. It might help, but otherwise he will simply get more aggressive as time goes by.

I've been doing that but I don't think it is working. Once they were in bed tonight I peeked in and started petting him. He let me for all of 5 seconds, then started to peck my hand and arm. I expected it so I was wearing a thick jacket and gloves. It makes me sad.
hit.gif

If he actually jumps on you scoop him up by the legs and carry him upside down for 5 minutes. It will blow his mind! I had a cockerel flogging me and one day I scooped him up and hung him upside down. I carried him around like that while I did my chores. He ran into the coop and pouted for about an hour. I never got attacked by him again!

my friend had a HUGE rooster that would go behind her 3 year old daughter and attack her. one day she got sick of it grabbed a rake and chased it around the yard for a hour, pinning him againsted walls ripping out a few feathers. she did that every day for about a week, never attacked her daughter again. (rake was to represent chicken foot/nails)

Back
Top Bottom