will younger chicks freaking out upset older chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by msbee, Jun 20, 2011.

1. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    I just moved the 6 week old chicks in with the older chickens tonight - they have their own coop within the coop and the older girls are roosting in their regular place on the other side. I sat in there with them because I have a black sex link that never shuts up and always sounds like she's crying. She calmed down as I held her for a while. But then the light on the timer went off. HOLY COW! The babies had a fit even though there is a night light in the corner and they slept in the dark when they were in the garage. Even my soothing shhhhshshshshshing didn't help. I'm inclined to let the light stay off on its timer routine, but what I worry about is the older girls. Will the babies' crying stress them out?

I searched through the past messages about chicks afraid of the dark, but didn't find anything about stressing out the older gals.

Thanks for any insight!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't think it will bother them that much, they probably understand it's not a threat, and the chicks should get quiet when they get used to the dark in a night or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by