Will your hens squat for you if you have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vermont Poultry, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    My rooster constantly tries to mate with my 19 week old pullets and he has mounted them successfully on occasion, but usually they run away. I have had 3 pullets squat for me but they generally are quite startled. I have never seen them squat for him he just forces it on them, people say chickens wont squat for you if you have a rooster, but they sometimes do for me. They are not laying yet but are they close? And how close?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes they may squat for you even if there is a rooster in the flock. They just find you more attractive than the rooster. [​IMG]

3. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    [​IMG]Doubtful, he's a pretty rooster. Hopefully those squatting pullets get to laying! Probably any day now.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is your 'rooster' also 19 weeks old?

If so, then he's called a cockerel and will try to mount anything, ready or not......
    ....and 19 week old pullets are not likely ready to squat for mating/reproduction/egg laying as they are not yet sexually mature.

Tho squatting is not always about sex, it's also about submission to a dominant flock member.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by