willl i ever have eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daphneysmamma, Jan 7, 2014.

1. daphneysmamma

daphneysmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    We have 8 hens 1 is about 5-6 months others 4-5 months old...they have a coop and straw n heat light n a run and they free range most dsys. They eat scratch and veggies with various scraps and have recently added laying mash...what is wrong ? R they still too young..o do they need a designated nest area?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Depending on the breeds you have they may take up to 7 to 9 months to lay. Most seem to lay right around 24 to 27 weeks old.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    6 months is a good average buts its only an average and there are lots of factors. Between 4-8 months is still the normal range for most birds. Keep in mind that laying feed is FOR laying birds it does not help birds lay. Without a designated nest they are going to lay where ever they decide and it might be in the middle of the run or somewhere hard to get to.

4. daphneysmamma

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    If I make nest spot how do they know to go there?...o the breeds r 1 orpington mix..1 gold wyndott,1 silver wyndotte,1 Brahma,4 barred rocks

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    They instinctually want to lay eggs in a place that feels safe, dark and protected so any sort of standard nest box should naturally appeal to them. If you want to be extra sure you can put a fake egg or a golf ball in the nest. If it looks like another hen is laying there and has deemed it a good spot then they will want to lay there also.

6. daphneysmamma

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    OK ty very much ..I shall start a new project

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by